Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Theory of 'Well Balanced Life' (WBL)

I still remember those days during the project that I managed 9 months back. The project used to sap up so much of my time, that I used to reach back at my abode at Bangalore only by 1 am in night, that too when work was ‘less’ and application was in production. It usually occured to me that I never see or talk with my gang at home, since they would be deep in sleep for the duration I am at home. The one who reached our home earliest was Mr. W, who had just joined one of the famous firms around Bangalore, and didn’t have too much of work to extend his working hours to night. Others at our home had enough work to hold them back till around 10 pm.

I remember - it was on a Wednesday, when all of us had come home by 9 pm (an occassion that demanded celebration - NASA reported that this occurs once in 2.65*e598 million years -which is approximately equal to the probability of driving through hosur road without getting caught in a traffic block) that Mr. W taught us the theory of ‘Well Balanced Life’. It seems one of his GMs had come from US, and he had given a talk to the employees in India about striking a balance between work and life. This was precisely the most confusing thing that intrigued me, since I moved to the ‘less’ work period which made me sit for 18 hours at office and I was still recovering from the 20-21 hours that I used to spent during the ‘actual execution’ of the project. I found it really difficult to even think about my existence, about my family, about my life, during this period. It was like I was ‘in a hole’ for a respectable span of time. I used to look jealously at my roomies all the time, especially Mr. W. That day was a similar day when Mr. W started giving this theory of ‘Well Balanced Life’, which he called fondly as WBL. He was telling that we need to fix our priorities, utilize the time effectively, get some free time so that our mind would be liberated for the apt amount of rest that it needs, endure in giving the body enough relaxation by sleeping 7 hours etc. Mr. W had his usual style of attacking us, especially me, telling ‘ I need a passport size photo of yours since I don’t know when I would see you next. The usual retaliations and arguments did not happen, because for once he was making a strong point – he was having a well balanced life. We were all convinced about it. He was managing things effectively. He was implementing the principle of WBL. He was practising what he preached. He was having a life, he was enjoying it and most importantly he was able to rub salt into our sad misery. :)

He told us – ‘The key is to have a Well Balanced Life, like me. Practice WBL, guys. Otherwise you will keep suffering!.’

Was'nt he spot on?

In a totally unrelated incident, Mr. W was moved into a new project the very next day. And since then, we saw him only for brief spans of time, that too during weekends – He always comes so late that we would have slept by then, and he leaves the home before we even get up. Mr. W was renamed as Mr. WBL, and we all make it a point to unleash the hell for him by holding inspiring talks about ‘striking a balance in life’, whenever we see him. No need to mention that Mr. W had a ‘Well Silenced Life’ at our home, till he moved into his next project.

So much for WBL – or ‘Well Balanced Life’. WBL stands as a cliche now, whenever we are into a difficult project. :)

14 comments:

silverine said...

It is easy to advice, but hard to practise I guess :)

neermathalam said...

from today onwards I m moving to WBL (well 'balanced'life)
1.new project
2.new toolset
3.new gas turbine config

wahh...welcome sleepless nights...
Wat a coincidence my dear what a post..last nail on my gala time came from your pen !!!!

srijithunni said...

Poor Mr.(W)BL.. :) But the concept is not entirely wrong too, I guess.. If you stretch your brains for 18 hours a day, then any one is headed for a sure burnout. At times we may need to stay back, but surely we can do without it on all days if we just try.. :)

Nice Blog.. Coming across a new blog and making a new friend, is something which I seem to be doing more often now.. and i am afraid at times, but I pray and hope that i am able to keep dropping in..

Trying to get a WBL - Well "Blogged" Life..

With Best Regards,
Srijith Unni.

starry said...

I hope he lives up to his name.

Sandeep Menon said...

hey, that was indeed a good one...WBL...it s easy to preach but difficult to practise...especially when u r in such a competitive field where time means business....but on the other hand i do agree with Srijith...one has to stay back at times and recharge oneself.
Nice blog and thanks for dropping by!!

pophabhi said...

Silver: No doubt.
Neermathalam:Nice co-incidence. Best of luck to you. Hope you would have a real WBL during this time! :)
Srijith: Welcome!! You are absolutely right. Its ok, if we spend extra long hours occassionally - But our work has been a bit too strenous and I have come to a situation that you mentioned aptly - Burnout.
Ya - its great to come across new blogs and new friends. Keep crossing trails.
Starry Nights: I too hope so :)
Sandeep: You are right. I guess its more of being at the right place at the right time. Thanks for dropping by!

Dew Drops said...

as for me WBL is like this - some days i work till 12 or 1 at night. and to balance, somedays i sit almost idle reading all the blogs .. will that do? today its gonna b a hard day, i guess

Lekshmi said...

Abhi,
Nice thoughts. I too agree with the fact that we can balance life by working late during tight deadline days and leaving on time on other days. But, in some sectors where you have direct interactions with customers,like that of my husband's, this theory is almost not possible.

Still, I believe things depends on our working style and company culture to a great extend.

Still,

Anonymous said...

Nice read abhi... can imagine how would you hit a sixer of this Mr W when he was trying a yorker which turned to be a full tose "banana"...
He/She may never forget this WBL theory atleast whenever he/she see you around :)

Anupama said...

ha ha good one... I am going to adapt the term WBL.... to be used in my company too :)
But I have come across a couple of my seniors who actually practice it.. If you can practice something like that, its really great

pophabhi said...

Dew: As I told, its all about striking the balance. If todays bad, tomorrow will be awesome! ;-)
Lekshmi:You are spot on. Most of it depends on the work that you land up in. A person working as a sniper in WW 2 never got a chance to relax, rite? Remembering Vasili!
Sreeraj: He never forgets it when I am around. Nor does he forget it when any of our roomies and Dhanush are around.:)
Anupama:That would be great. I think we can propogate the principle of WBL across continents. It would be a wonderful movement. hehe.

Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

custom writing papers said...

You know today as a large city and growing metropolis, Bangalore is home to many of the most well-recognized colleges and research institutions in India