Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A bargain for future

Location – Palarivattom, Cochin.

Boisterous group of drunken 17-year-old kids, in a bus from South Kerala. Blue flags adorn the sides of the bus, representing a grand meeting of a famous students union to be inaugurated shortly in Cochin. Alcohol bottles kept swapping around in that bus. Suddenly, the intoxicated student union members notice a group of school going girls in the private line bus moving in the parallel lane. They proclaim their presence with swear words and filthy language. A group of student politicians extend their hands from their window trying to grab at the little girls in the bus. Groups of shell-shocked people sit frozen in the line bus. The girls gaze around for any retaliation from the crowd. No action from anyone. The boorish paranoia persists. Aged people, Family heads, Boiling young people of ethics and values – everyone remain silent in the bus, ignorant of what they were hearing, ignorant that one of those girls could be their immediate relative. The only thing that was fighting the ongoing licentiousness was the paralysis of our crowd. And among them, I see myself waiting for a spark to ignite. Everything goes dark. I too started to melt into a paralysis… spineless!! I was a lingering shadow.

In the background, I hear an announcement – “Welcoming you all to the footsteps of Gandhiji. Our ‘prasthanam’ of young people following the principles of Gandhiji invite you all to attend the all Kerala convention of QQQ followers. Join us and follow the footsteps of father of the nation”. Through the darkness in my mind I see a spotlight where a dhoti clad old person stared at me. He had tears in his eyes. He kept his hands open as he asked for mercy. I tried to shout. My brain switched off. Again…paralyzed. Everything was pitch dark. Nothing, but vacuum.

Student politics for the greater good of nation, it seems. Indeed, my dear leaders…. indeed! These young students are your future. Lure them to a path of darkness, and let Churchill’s half naked fakir weep. Let him beg for clemency.

9 comments:

silverine said...

These people whould be shot!!

Paresh Palicha said...

Shame on us :( for being so paralyzed.

Movie Mazaa said...

That quite hits the nail right on the head! Finely penned!

b v n said...

pathetic !

but then i wouldnt blame you for not reacting, sometimes the body revolts when you really want to :(

neermathalam said...

17 years are no longer kids...
Childhood ends at the age of 10 years in present India.
phew...!!!!

you kept silent because you dont like to be burnt inside the bus you are travelling....it is that fear...of getting mobbed..that prevents all....

That is what happens when...a mob is take reigns..But dont we pay taxes to our so called social servants...called government to feed and keep a police force.
Why could'nt anyone ring up the police using the mighty cellphone...
Well it won't have made any difference.it is not your failure because it was not your duty.
But..when the whole society fails before the mob...it sends a chill down the spine...a baffling feeling of anguish..and frustration.

I think i posted a very similar thing when a bad incident happned to someone close to me inside a bus that too in the upcoming metropolis Kochi..phew....

neermathalam said...

http://happylighthouse.blogspot.com/2006_04_01_archive.html
try this....i felt a lump in my throat...

neermathalam said...

http://peringodan.blogspot.com/2007/05/blog-post.html

this too....

Venkateshwar Sahai said...

i guess my decision to stay in US is justified by events like this..

'mera bhaarat mahaan'.. really??

'India is a land of culture and values'.. who can ever say this??

Rajesh Naroth said...

Hello Abhilash,

We dont know each other but I wanted to ask you fora favor.
I am the creator of Malayalam Album Kanmani. I am not sure of you have heard of it.
I just completed my second video. This one is especially for the nostalgic Malayalees. I have it posted in youtube:
Kunnimanikal

It would mean a lot to me if you could post it in your blog. I have been struggling with the marketing part of the CD. Its has been kind of a one man crusade so far. I sincerely hope spreading the word through the web will make a difference. The album details are here: http://albumkanmani.blogspot.com/

I apologize if this unsolicited request is inappropriate.

Thanks a bunch
Regards
Rajesh